Friday, February 20, 2015

Today's frame is "verse- about weaving or sewing."  I put the slips of paper in the jar with "verse" written so I would get some calligraphy practice in occasionally.  Before I pulled the slip and while I ate my breakfast, I watched the DVD by Carrie Imai that accompanies her book, Dancin' Pen. I took a two-hour mini workshop with her last spring at Letters of Joy Calligraphy conference in Edmonds, WA.  It was, hands down, the most exciting workshop I've taken. (I'm hoping to take more extensive classes from Carrie sometime in the future) 


Her lovely pen manipulation just ignites my heart with calligraphic joy.  I've been trying to learn the method of pen manipulation all year.  So today I decided to try my verse using her technique. Here is my trial run...on practice paper, warts and all. (have pity, I haven't mastered it by a long shot!)
Also a pic of Carrie's book cover if you are interested. 
One of the things she does is to use Pelikan 4001 inks and mixes them as she goes.  I definitely haven't figured how that works... my color transitions are clumsy. "But someday," she said hopefully, "they will be graceful and glorious."

No comments:

Post a Comment

please let me know what you think of this post

Come Play with me!

Life is ART--there is beauty everywhere that needs to be looked at and appreciated. Yeah, there is plenty of bad stuff in the world, but God tells us to think on whatever is pure, lovely and of good report (Philippians 4) so I am going to obey...won't you come with me?! Let's make and do things that are beautiful, lovely, fun....