Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Tree Glory

Mother has long loved and commented on trees.  Her love and "out loud" comments of admiration of the incredible variety of shapes, leaves, bark has been a good spur to me to pay attention to trees and other things in nature. 
I am nudged to notice not only the big picture (the huge maple tree on our north side, the skinny tall evergreen on the corner, the drapey willow in the neighbor's back yard) but the details of things I see around me (flat curl-edged sheets of bark on the sycamore, ragged shreds of bark invaded by a wee woodpecker on the ornamental plum, white paper-y film on the birch tree across the fence.)
The display our Creator's awe-inspiring handiwork is on my mind. I am reading Frances Chan's Crazy Love and his first chapter is titled "Don't Pray."   I think, "huh?!" But he goes on to challenge me to come into God's presence and ponder Him and His handiwork. Go from the vast nebulae in deep space to the tiny spiral on a snail's shell.  This attention to the "big picture" and the "details" cause awe to well up within me. On Sunday we sang, "How great is our God." I can still hear the voices around me lifting the words-- "sing with me, how great is our God!" Won't you sing with me? Admire and worship our God!

4 comments:

please let me know what you think of this post

Come Play with me!

Life is ART--there is beauty everywhere that needs to be looked at and appreciated. Yeah, there is plenty of bad stuff in the world, but God tells us to think on whatever is pure, lovely and of good report (Philippians 4) so I am going to obey...won't you come with me?! Let's make and do things that are beautiful, lovely, fun....